Protecting your family and your home can be a challenge but knowing the facts will help put in perspective the risk involved. This guide will highlight key statistics that will shed more light on this concerning matter.
- 20.3% of Australian homes have been burgled at some point. That’s 1 in 5.
- Number of break-ins in Queensland in 2020 – 46,500.
- Incredibly it takes 75% of burglars less than just 5 minutes to enter a property.
- 47% of households that experienced an attempted break-in reported damage to or tampering with doors or windows.
- 21% of the households saw or heard someone trying to break-in.
Australia vs the world
In 2015 Australia had the 5th highest rate of burglaries in the world. The four countries with higher rates of burglary than Australia in 2015 were all located in Europe and had much smaller populations.
10 most common items stolen
An assessment of burglaries in Australian reveal a list of top ten items most likely to be stolen. They may vary over time but mirror changes in technology and changes in what is considered to be ‘hot items’. Hot items refer to items that are not only valuable but also easy to sell.
6. Wallets, handbags, purses
7. Identification Documents
9. Computer and video game equipment
You need to keep items either locked away in safes or secure locations when not in use to help protect you from theft. If you are known to store cash and other valuables around the home, you can make yourself a target for multiple thefts. Burglars have been known to wait until you have replaced stolen items and then target your home for a second burglary.
Our security experts are on your side
Our specialist team at Peninsula Locksmith & Security – Moreton Bay can tailor a complete home or business security solution that will deter criminals and protect your family, your property and your assets. From locks and alarms to safes, CCTV and back to base monitoring, you can trust us to provide you with the security you need.